February 8: Digital Research Management & Data
- Mitchell Whitelaw, “Generous Interfaces for Digital Cultural Collections” 9, no. 1 (2015). http://www.digitalhumanities.org/dhq/vol/9/1/000205/000205.html Estimated Read Time: 25 minutes
- Shelley Bernstein, “Rethinking the Museum Collection Online,” Medium, (April 11, 2017), https://medium.com/barnes-foundation/rethinking-the-museum-collection-online-e3b864d8bb39 Estimated Read Time: 4 minutes
- John Resig, “Using Computer Vision to Increase the Research Potential of Photo Archives,” John Resig, 2013, http://ejohn.org/research/computer-vision-photo-archives/, Estimated Read Time: 25 minutes
- Oliver Roeder, “An Excavation Of One Of The World’s Greatest Art Collections | FiveThirtyEight.” FiveThirtyEight, April 6, 2017. http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/an-excavation-of-one-of-the-worlds-greatest-art-collections/ Estimated Read Time: 14 minutes
- Ukiyo: https://ukiyo-e.org/
- “Experiments with the Getty’s Provenance Data » UCLA Digital Humanities, Spring 2015.” Accessed June 15, 2015. http://dhbasecamp.humanities.ucla.edu/gettydata/.
- Colour Lens: http://colourlens.org/
- Cooper Hewitt: https://collection.cooperhewitt.org/objects/colors/
- V&A Museum, FABRIC Browser (search by color): http://visualiser.ssl.co.uk/vis2dtest1.html?vo=1&data=potpo2971&title=Mixed%20Collection
- Rijksmuseum Rijks Studio: https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/en/rijksstudio
9:00-10:15am: Review of search and structured metadata.
- Google Search Help
- Activity: Reverse Image Searching with Tiny Eye and Google Images.
- Resource: JISC Metadata Guide
- Activity: Metadata games, http://play.metadatagames.org
10:30am -12:00pm: Organizing digital research and sustainable practices for maintaining data
- Recommended Formats Statement (Library of Congress)
- 3-2-1 Backup Rule (Peter Krogh)
- Strong Password Generator
2:30-4:00pm: What is possible with museum data?
- Review examples of what is being done with museum collection data.
- What is GitHub? See how the National Archives is using it, and the Te Papa.
- Resource: Matthew Lincoln, Mapping Artistic Attention in Amsterdam, 1550-1750 (with data)
- Resource: Tidy Data
- ISO Date-Time Format Standard (ISO-8601)
- Activity: Using Palladio to visualize museum collections data sets.